Friday, December 22, 2006

Beacon in the night

She sat quietly at the water's edge
alder and willows in-between
and on the further bank she saw
a stone all clad in mossy green.

She plucked her skirts and went across
knelt there a little while
the stone it stood just as before
while on her lips there played a smile.

Old one, she did say to it
I think you more than just a stone
what lessons have you for today
in this place and all alone?

The stone stood just as before
across its surface shadows flickered
and through the branches swaying close
the old one sighed then gently whispered.

Low I was laid then stood again
suns and moons did pass this way
and at the end I will lay once more
stilled beacon on the final day.

She stretched a finger to the stone
and ran it down its mossy face.
Are you lovelier than I she mocked
wiser than the human race?

The stone it stood just as before
across its surface shadows flickered.
Yes my child it did reply
lovelier and wiser it gently whispered.

She stood in fury
and turned around
she took three paces
across the ground.

And at the water's edge she turned
and cast a glare towards the stone
across its surface shadows flickered
the old one stood there all alone.

There is nothing lovelier than I said she
nothing wiser than the human race
take note of this with each dark night
that falls across your mossy face.

The stone it stood just as before
across its surface shadows flickered
and as the day fell into night
the moon rose up and gently whispered.

I am far lovelier than you fair maid
wiser than the human race
I have cast my light across this ground
along the path you start to trace.

She looked then from moon to stone
while on the water moonlight flickered
and in the shadows all around
a voice rose up and gently whispered.

I am even lovelier than the moon
wiser than the earth you now do pace
I am the one without a name
that comes and goes without a trace.

And who are you she did enquire
in the shadows all out of sight?
Silence was the long reply
save for the beacon in the night.

Anon

No comments: